War between Jacob and Esau. Death of Esau and overthrow of his forces, 1-10. Edom reduced
to servitude 'till this day', 11-14. Kings of Edom, 15-24. (Cf. Gen. xxxvi.31-9.)
- And after that Judah spake to Jacob, his father, and said unto him: 'Bend thy bow,
father, and send forth thy arrows and cast down the adversary and slay the enemy; and mayst thou
have the power, for we shall not slay thy brother, for he is such as thou, and he is like thee let us
- Then Jacob bent his bow and sent forth the arrow and struck Esau, his
his right breast) and slew him.
- And again he sent forth an arrow and struck 'Adoran the
on the left breast, and drove him backward and slew him.
- And then went forth the sons
they and their servants, dividing themselves into companies on the four sides of the
- And Judah went forth in front, and Naphtali and Gad with him and fifty servants with him
on the south side of the tower, and they slew all they found before them, and not one individual of
- And Levi and Dan and Asher went forth on the east side of the tower, and fifty (men)
and they slew the fighting men of Moab and Ammon.
- And Reuben and Issachar and
Zebulon went forth on the north side of the tower, and fifty men with them, and they slew the
fighting men of the
- And Simeon and Benjamin and Enoch, Reuben's son, went forth on the west
side of the tower, and fifty (men) with them, and they slew of Edom and of the Horites four
hundred men, stout warriors; and six hundred fled, and four of the sons of Esau fled with them,
and left their father
lying slain, as he had fallen on the hill which is in 'Aduram.
- And the sons of Jacob
pursued after them to the mountains of Seir. And Jacob buried his brother on the hill which is in
he returned to his house.
- And the sons of Jacob pressed hard upon the sons of Esau in
the mountains of Seir, and bowed their necks so that they became servants of the sons of Jacob.
- And they
sent to their father (to inquire) whether they should make peace with them or slay
- And Jacob sent word to his sons that they should make peace, and they made peace with
them, and placed the
yoke of servitude upon them, so that they paid tribute to Jacob and to his sons always.
- And they
continued to pay tribute to Jacob until the day that he went down into Egypt.
- And the
sons of Edom have not got quit of the yoke of servitude which the twelve sons of Jacob had
them until this day.
- And these are the kings that reigned in Edom before there reigned
over the children of Israel [until this day] in the land of Edom.
- And Balaq, the son of
in Edom, and the name of his city was Danaba.
- And Balaq died, and Jobab, the son of
Boser, reigned in his stead.
- And Jobab died, and 'Asam, of the land of Teman, reigned
in his stead.
- And 'Asam died, and 'Adath, the son of Barad, who slew Midian in the field of Moab,
reigned in his
stead, and the name of his city was Avith.
- And 'Adath died, and Salman, from
in his stead.
- And Salman died,and Saul of Ra'aboth (by the) river, reigned in his
- And Saul
died, and Ba'elunan, the son of Achbor, reigned in his stead.
- And Ba'elunan, the son of
Achbor died, and 'Adath reigned in his stead, and the name of his wife was Maitabith, the
Matarat, the daughter of Metabedza'ab.
- These are the kings who reigned in the land of