Jacob celebrates the feast of firstfruits, and encouraged by a vision goes down to Egypt, 1-10.
Names of his descendants, 11-34. (Cf. Gen. xlvi.1-28.)
- And Israel took his journey from Haran from his house on the new moon of the third
month, and he went on the way of the Well of the Oath, and he offered a sacrifice to the God of
father Isaac on the seventh of this month.
- And Jacob remembered the dream that he had
at Bethel, and he feared to go down into Egypt.
- And while he was thinking of sending
word to Joseph to come to him, and that he would not go down, he remained there seven days,
perchance he could see a vision as to whether he should remain or go down.
- And he
celebrated the harvest festival of the first-fruits with old grain, for in all the land of Canaan there
was not a handful of seed [in the land], for the famine was over all the beasts and cattle and
birds, and also over man.
- And on the sixteenth the Lord appeared unto him, and said
unto him, 'Jacob, Jacob'; and he said, 'Here am I.' And He said unto him: 'I am the God of thy
fathers, the God of Abraham and Isaac; fear not to go down into Egypt, for I will there make of
a great nation I will go down with thee, and I will bring thee up (again), and in this land
shalt thou be buried, and Joseph shall put his hands upon thy eyes.
- Fear not; go down into
- And his sons rose up, and his sons' sons, and they placed their father and their
- And Israel rose up from the Well of the Oath on the sixteenth of this third
month, and he
went to the land of Egypt.
- And Israel sent Judah before him to his son Joseph to
examine the Land of Goshen, for Joseph had told his brothers that they should come and dwell
there that they
might be near him.
- And this was the goodliest (land) in the land of Egypt, and near to
him, for all
(of them) and also for the cattle.
- And these are the names of the sons of Jacob who
Egypt with Jacob their father.
- Reuben, the First-born of Israel; and these are the names
sons Enoch, and Pallu, and Hezron and Carmi-five.
- Simeon and his sons; and these are
the names of his sons: Jemuel, and Jamin, and Ohad, and Jachin, and Zohar, and Shaul, the
of the Zephathite woman-seven.
- Levi and his sons; and these are the names of his
sons: Gershon, and Kohath, and Merari-four.
- Judah and his sons; and these are the names of his
Shela, and Perez, and Zerah-four.
- Issachar and his sons; and these are the names of his
Tola, and Phua, and Jasub, and Shimron-five.
- Zebulon and his sons; and these are the
his sons: Sered, and Elon, and Jahleel-four.
- And these are the sons of Jacob and their
sons whom Leah bore to Jacob in Mesopotamia, six, and their one sister, Dinah and all the souls
of the sons of Leah, and their sons, who went with Jacob their father into Egypt, were
twenty-nine, and Jacob their
father being with them, they were thirty.
- And the sons of Zilpah, Leah's handmaid, the
Jacob, who bore unto Jacob Gad and Ashur.
- And these are the names of their sons
who went with him into Egypt. The sons of Gad: Ziphion, and Haggi, and Shuni, and Ezbon,
<and Eri>, and Areli,
- And the sons of Asher: Imnah, and Ishvah, <and Ishvi>, and Beriah,
their one sister-six.
- All the souls were fourteen, and all those of Leah were
- And the
sons of Rachel, the wife of Jacob: Joseph and Benjamin.
- And there were born to
Joseph in Egypt before his father came into Egypt, those whom Asenath, daughter of Potiphar
priest of Heliopolis
bare unto him, Manasseh, and Ephraim-three.
- And the sons of Benjamin: Bela and
Becher and Ashbel, Gera, and Naaman, and Ehi, and Rosh, and Muppim, and Huppim, and
- And all the souls of Rachel were fourteen.
- And the sons of Bilhah, the handmaid of
wife of Jacob, whom she bare to Jacob, were Dan and Naphtali.
- And these are the
names of their sons who went with them into Egypt. And the sons of Dan were Hushim, and
Samon, and Asudi.
and 'Ijaka, and Salomon-six.
- And they died the year in which they entered into Egypt,
was left to Dan Hushim alone.
- And these are the names of the sons of Naphtali Jahziel,
and Jezer, and Shallum, and 'Iv.
- And 'Iv, who was born after the years of famine, died
- And all the souls of Rachel were twenty-six.
- And all the souls of Jacob which went
into Egypt were seventy souls. These are his children and his children's children, in all seventy,
but five died
in Egypt before Joseph, and had no children.
- And in the land of Canaan two sons of
Judah died, Er and Onan, and they had no children, and the children of Israel buried those who
perished, and they were reckoned among the seventy Gentile nations.